Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
colldood

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Post by colldood » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:05 pm

Looks like today's turning out to be a bloodbath...

BYA

Post by BYA » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:15 pm

Nr wrote:
virgo wrote:This thread is getting too fast to follow. Does anyone know if Nr heard anything back from UIUC? I'm really rooting for him! I'm rooting for all of you, but especially him because he's doing this for the second time.
Hi, what's up everyone ???

Thank you Virgo for worrying so much about me.
Well, I finally asked Prof. Laugesen what's going on ...
and ...
I'm out ...

Yeah, I didn't do it again ...
Pool story stuff again

That's it for me then ...
Obviously I won't try again next year, so I have no idea what I'm going to do right now ...
but anyway
I wanted to thank you all guys for being so nice ...
I had a lot of fun here !!!

I wish everyone who did it an awesome time in grad school
And those who didn't do it an awesomeR game plan :D

I'm out ...
BYEBYE
Hope you will cope well. Do not lose hope on your other applications, if any, since we are not yet even in March when decisions will still be coming out.

longtm1989

Post by longtm1989 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:17 pm

@Nr: I hope that you will find a place where you belong, enjoy learning, being challenge, and making good friends.

KaviSiromani

Post by KaviSiromani » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:25 pm

Nr wrote:
virgo wrote:This thread is getting too fast to follow. Does anyone know if Nr heard anything back from UIUC? I'm really rooting for him! I'm rooting for all of you, but especially him because he's doing this for the second time.
Hi, what's up everyone ???

Thank you Virgo for worrying so much about me.
Well, I finally asked Prof. Laugesen what's going on ...
and ...
I'm out ...

Yeah, I didn't do it again ...
Pool story stuff again

That's it for me then ...
Obviously I won't try again next year, so I have no idea what I'm going to do right now ...
but anyway
I wanted to thank you all guys for being so nice ...
I had a lot of fun here !!!

I wish everyone who did it an awesome time in grad school
And those who didn't do it an awesomeR game plan :D

I'm out ...
BYEBYE
Sorry to hear that. I hope you will reconsider applying to grad school, but whatever you decide to do - Best Wishes.

RicciFlow

Post by RicciFlow » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:55 pm

virgo wrote:Did anyone from here hear anything from Michigan? I just want to confirm that the rejects are not fake.
Definitely got my rejection form Michigan as well. Glad to finally hear something from at least one of my schools though.

dollar

Post by dollar » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:00 pm

Received from Professor Laugesen of UIUC an hour ago:

"Dear XXX

We're getting close to making offers to international applicants. Could you please let me know your current status? If you've been accepted to a program which you would prefer to Illinois, please let me know – it helps our planning tremendously."

Thank you, and best regards,"

I withdrew my application.

edit: I did not receive a short list email in late jan.
Last edited by dollar on Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

functor

Post by functor » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:03 pm

I'm sorry to hear that Nr. I've been silently following this thread and rooting for you.. I hope you get off the waitlist at UT Austin or get into Western Ontario. Do you know how far up you are on the waitlist at UT Austin?

virgo

Post by virgo » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:13 pm

functor wrote:I'm sorry to hear that Nr. I've been silently following this thread and rooting for you.. I hope you get off the waitlist at UT Austin or get into Western Ontario. Do you know how far up you are on the waitlist at UT Austin?
No one knows their rank on the waitlist. We were specifically instructed not to ask either.

ParsleyX

Post by ParsleyX » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:25 pm

I just sent off an e-mail to UMD AMSC asking for an update on my application. I'll let you know what's up.

marco

Post by marco » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:31 pm

ParsleyX wrote:I just sent off an e-mail to UMD AMSC asking for an update on my application. I'll let you know what's up.
I look forward to hearing from you :). Good luck!
BTW there are some Minnesota admits on GC.

generic_username

Post by generic_username » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:38 pm

virgo wrote:Did anyone from here hear anything from Michigan? I just want to confirm that the rejects are not fake.
I did.

generic_username

Post by generic_username » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:41 pm

dollar wrote:Received from Professor Laugesen of UIUC an hour ago:

"Dear XXX

We're getting close to making offers to international applicants. Could you please let me know your current status? If you've been accepted to a program which you would prefer to Illinois, please let me know – it helps our planning tremendously."

While it may be a different applicant pool for international students, I got an email from Dr. Laugesen saying someone withdrew and got an offer!! So in case it was yours, THANK YOU!

virgo

Post by virgo » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:43 pm

generic_username wrote:
dollar wrote:Received from Professor Laugesen of UIUC an hour ago:

"Dear XXX

While it may be a different applicant pool for international students, I got an email from Dr. Laugesen saying someone withdrew and got an offer!! So in case it was yours, THANK YOU!
Nice!

virgo

Post by virgo » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:43 pm

C'mon Minnesota :(.

ParsleyX

Post by ParsleyX » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:44 pm

That's awesome. I almost think that people who've applied to the same programs should have their own threads where they exchange personal information so that if someone declines an offer, they can suggest someone else in their stead.

Good luck everyone!

dollar

Post by dollar » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:53 pm

congrats generic_username!

tvboomer

Post by tvboomer » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:47 pm

Is there anyone who still has yet to hear from Michigan and/or UIUC? I twiddled my thumbs all day in anticipation of results, but only got a rejection from Caltech to show for it!

Congratulations to everyone who received admits today (and my condolences to those who are still patiently waiting :( ). Hopefully tomorrow is a little less bloody.

1lovingsister

Post by 1lovingsister » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:51 pm

tvboomer wrote: but only got a rejection from Caltech to show for it!
If you don't mind me asking, did you get your rejection early on in the day or just a little bit ago? I haven't heard a thing and I can't even log in to the application website because it refuses to load. I wish they would just send me a rejection already so I can take UIUC's offer and stop biting my nearly non-existent nails.

dollar

Post by dollar » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:04 pm

I haven't heard anything from Michigan either. Hopefully that means we're on the waitlist.

transfinite

Post by transfinite » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:15 pm

I see a UIC admit on GC. Did anyone here get a decision from UIC? They told me last Monday that they would be able to inform me about their deicision in the "next few days", but I haven't heard anything from them since then.

tvboomer

Post by tvboomer » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:32 pm

1lovingsister wrote:
tvboomer wrote: but only got a rejection from Caltech to show for it!
If you don't mind me asking, did you get your rejection early on in the day or just a little bit ago? I haven't heard a thing and I can't even log in to the application website because it refuses to load. I wish they would just send me a rejection already so I can take UIUC's offer and stop biting my nearly non-existent nails.
I don't mind at all! I received my rejection right around 1:00pm CT. Perhaps you made the waitlist? Regardless, good luck with Caltech, and a belated congratulations on your offer from Illinois! I only hope that I will be so lucky in the coming days... :)

1lovingsister

Post by 1lovingsister » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:37 pm

Thanks! (: And I guess I'll just need to keep waiting. I'm sure your waiting will pay off as well. :D

throwaway123

Post by throwaway123 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:58 pm

transfinite wrote:I see a UIC admit on GC. Did anyone here get a decision from UIC? They told me last Monday that they would be able to inform me about their deicision in the "next few days", but I haven't heard anything from them since then.
I heard positively from UIC today.

I also have heard nothing from Michigan or UIUC (since another poster asked).

avisottda

Post by avisottda » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:04 pm

ParsleyX wrote:I see a few people on here have been accepted to Rennselaer. Has anyone received any funding information?
Nothing from RPI so far other than the acceptance letter in January.

allemanau

Post by allemanau » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:24 pm

ParsleyX wrote:I just sent off an e-mail to UMD AMSC asking for an update on my application. I'll let you know what's up.
Thanks for taking the initiative! There's just too much weird tranquility on their front...

RicciFlow

Post by RicciFlow » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:26 pm

Hi everyone,
I saw someone with an acceptance from University of Kentucky. I was curious if any one else has applied to the program and heard anything. Also, I allegedly received an email from UK saying that a rep. would be in contact with me soon but I have not gotten anything else from UK and seem to have deleted the email. Has anyone heard from a UK rep.?

ParsleyX

Post by ParsleyX » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:41 pm

allemanau wrote:
Thanks for taking the initiative! There's just too much weird tranquility on their front...
It's my pleasure - I figure I'd rather know sooner than later so I can start making the next steps.

More generally, I've spoken to a few first year grad students and they've all told me that March 1st seemed to be when there's a ton of activity. If that's the case, this is almost like christmas eve 8)

IfhhoteCannot

Post by IfhhoteCannot » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:35 pm

A friend of mine got accepted to UIC and U Washington today.

rmg512

Post by rmg512 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:38 pm

tvboomer wrote:Is there anyone who still has yet to hear from Michigan and/or UIUC? I twiddled my thumbs all day in anticipation of results, but only got a rejection from Caltech to show for it!

Congratulations to everyone who received admits today (and my condolences to those who are still patiently waiting :( ). Hopefully tomorrow is a little less bloody.
I'm in the exact same situation. Hopefully that means we'll be admitted soon or we're on the waiting list, in which case I hope we both make it off the waiting list. Good luck!

JonMLTR

Post by JonMLTR » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:59 pm

Got my 4th rejection today(mostly departments related with applied math/engineering).

I have 4 left but I think I'm done. Taken the subject test although departments did not require it, publications, reports etc... (Ill put my profile after all is over)

I never believed in omens and today I saw how right I was. Dad had a dream that i was going to get accepted today lol instead I am given a rejection at the last minute to a place where I was overqualified compared to the people they are admitting...

I didn't have high expectation but it still hurts.

I hope you people have much better luck than I have.

nico

Post by nico » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:24 pm

Yeah, just got rejected by Michigan :/ hurts more than I thought it would....

On a side note, a friend of mine just got into U Washington in Seattle for pure math.....I guess they've begun....

wickerfurniture

Post by wickerfurniture » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:28 pm

JonMLTR wrote:Got my 4th rejection today(mostly departments related with applied math/engineering).
I have 4 left but I think I'm done. Taken the subject test although departments did not require it, publications, reports etc... (Ill put my profile after all is over)

I never believed in omens and today I saw how right I was. Dad had a dream that i was going to get accepted today lol instead I am given a rejection at the last minute to a place where I was overqualified compared to the people they are admitting...

gosh we need some inspiration.

I got a rejection today from a school ranked in the 90s (not trying to toot my horn, but ive gotten into a top 30 school and w-l'ed at a top 15). Straight trippin. I think its a lot more of a craps game than we think. Honestly, I think the mood of the admissions people when they're dealing with your app matters a ton for borderline candidates

dollar

Post by dollar » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:52 pm

nico wrote: On a side note, a friend of mine just got into U Washington in Seattle for pure math.....I guess they've begun....
As in ... literally just then? Dammit, I was hoping to get some work done tonight..

avisottda

Post by avisottda » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:59 pm

wickerfurniture wrote:
JonMLTR wrote:Got my 4th rejection today(mostly departments related with applied math/engineering).

I got a rejection today from a school ranked in the 90s (not trying to toot my horn, but ive gotten into a top 30 school and w-l'ed at a top 15). Straight trippin. I think its a lot more of a craps game than we think. Honestly, I think the mood of the admissions people when they're dealing with your app matters a ton for borderline candidates
Could be ...but ranking doesn't say much about selectivity except for the general trends imo. There are a lot of small but selective programs that are ranked low. Also lowly ranked schools tend to lack funding, so they might reject more people than they would like to admit. Furthermore, schools in large cities tend to get a lot more applications than schools in rural areas even if the school is ranked low...

wickerfurniture

Post by wickerfurniture » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:05 am

yea, im probably just ranting
avisottda wrote:
wickerfurniture wrote:

Could be ...but ranking doesn't say much about selectivity except for the general trends imo. There are a lot of small but selective programs that are ranked low. Also lowly ranked schools tend to lack funding, so they might reject more people than they would like to admit. Furthermore, schools in large cities tend to get a lot more applications than schools in rural areas even if the school is ranked low...

Gasquet

Post by Gasquet » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:21 am

@transfinite: I have not heard back from UIC. The decision on the status page still says "Referred to College for Review".

My fall down the abyss continues. Rejected from UT Austin (Applied). 5th in a row.

Edit for typo
Last edited by Gasquet on Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

transfinite

Post by transfinite » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:27 am

Gasquet wrote:@transfinite: I have not hears back from UIC. The decision on the status page still says "Referred to College for Review".

My fall down the abyss continues. Rejected from UT Austin (Applied). 5th in a row.
Interesting, my status is "Application Materials Received - Please await further updates". I aked the grad director an hour and a half ago about my status; he has not replied yet.

I am sorry to hear about your rejection; I hope you will hear some good news soon.

Gasquet

Post by Gasquet » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:31 am

transfinite wrote:
Gasquet wrote:@transfinite: I have not hears back from UIC. The decision on the status page still says "Referred to College for Review".

Interesting, my status is "Application Materials Received - Please await further updates". I aked the grad director an hour and a half ago about my status; he has not replied yet.

I am sorry to hear about your rejection; I hope you will hear some good news soon.
Okay, I may have worded that badly. My 'Status' is the same as yours. Right below the status field, there is a new 'Decision' field(I have not seen this before) that says Referred to College for Review

transfinite

Post by transfinite » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:42 am

Gasquet wrote:
transfinite wrote:

Okay, I may have worded that badly. My 'Status' is the same as yours. Right below the status field, there is a new 'Decision' field(I have not seen this before) that says Referred to College for Review
Oh, I see. I do not have a 'Decision' field yet.

marco

Post by marco » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:45 am

Gasquet wrote:@transfinite: I have not heard back from UIC. The decision on the status page still says "Referred to College for Review".

Edit for typo
You just got rejected by UT Austin? I thought they have done that a while ago? I mean UT Austin has already accepted wait listed and rejected all their candidates two weeks ago haven't they?

Gasquet

Post by Gasquet » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:18 am

marco wrote:
Gasquet wrote:@transfinite: I have not heard back from UIC. The decision on the status page still says "Referred to College for Review".

Edit for typo
You just got rejected by UT Austin? I thought they have done that a while ago? I mean UT Austin has already accepted wait listed and rejected all their candidates two weeks ago haven't they?
Yep. Just got it. Don't why it is so late. I got an email to check my status online. I last checked it just two days ago, and at that time it was still "under review".

L3inad

Post by L3inad » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:49 am

IfhhoteCannot wrote:A friend of mine got accepted to UIC and U Washington today.
J$?

IIIII

Post by IIIII » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:39 am

It seems Maryland is sending out some more admits. I don't know if this is AMSC or not.

IIIII

Post by IIIII » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:40 am

IIIII wrote:I don't know if this is AMSC or not.
Actually, I take that back. I understand the law of the excluded middle.

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:55 am

Has anyone been accepted to Yale or Columbia pure math yet? I heard Columbia had some issues with identifying GRE scores to applicants because of a system glitch, but I haven't got an idea if the problem still exists.

rashomon

Post by rashomon » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:49 am

Has anyone heard anything from Stony Brook? It looks like they make their decisions around 10th march..but I wonder..

marco

Post by marco » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:10 am

IIIII wrote:
They are from Pure Math no?

C'mon Friday March 1 show me some admits!

ParsleyX

Post by ParsleyX » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:07 am

Still no reply to my AMSC e-mail. I was hoping it would be a relatively quick question.

JacobiField

Post by JacobiField » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:10 am

marco wrote:
IIIII wrote:
They are from Pure Math no?

C'mon Friday March 1 show me some admits!
Maybe the second round is still super competitive. I guess I thought when they asked for a fun fact about myself they were actually significantly interested. Guess not.

marco

Post by marco » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:11 am

ParsleyX wrote:Still no reply to my AMSC e-mail. I was hoping it would be a relatively quick question.
Maybe that is a good sign though. There still could be a couple of AMSC admits coming soon.