Why does Dartmouth rank so low?

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
Legendre

Why does Dartmouth rank so low?

Post by Legendre » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:12 pm

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... ngs/page+3

#51 Dartmouth College

I was just got a fellowship for PhD Math, and is thinking of attending. Love the town, around 6 (out of 19) of the faculty is in my topic.

Should I be worried because of the ranking?

IfhhoteCannot

Re: Why does Dartmouth rank so low?

Post by IfhhoteCannot » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:14 pm

First of all, that ranking can't really be taken at face value. Your degree is what you make of it. If you excel at Dartmouth, you will be a respected mathematician. Of course, a high-ranked school looks good on your resume (just like a great undergrad institution looks good on your PhD app), but it's not the only thing that matters.

The other thing you have to think about is this: What is the point? Not to get deep on you, but seriously, why do you want to get a PhD? Because you love math and you want to get a job and yadda yadda yadda...it will make you happy. If the point is to be happy, well, why would you want to spend five years in a town you don't like or a department that's not perfect for you, when you could spent it somewhere you love and you will be happy? Five years is a long time, and if you think you will enjoy your time at Dartmouth better than somewhere else, you should do it.

Congrats on the acceptance and the fellowship. :)

virgo

Post by virgo » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:47 pm

Even though Dartmouth is ranked so low it might not be bad to go there as far as employment is concerned. If you want to go into industry, most places do not know the math grad school rankings. Dartmouth is ivy league and people will be more impressed by that than if you were to go to Minnesota which is obviously much better for math.

PNT

Post by PNT » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:47 am

Is Dartmouth strong in the area you want to work in? If so then why would you worry?

Legendre

Post by Legendre » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:37 am

Thanks for the input. I'm just trying to be as critical as I can before spending 5 years of my life doing the PhD.

IMHO Dartmouth is a very selective and competitive, especially since they are ivy league and their financial package is well above the rest. I think I will love the environment (small town and community), and 6-7 out of 19 (very brilliant) faculty in my area should be ample for me to find a supervisor.

The main thing I am worried about is if the department has any major flaws that resulted in its low rank.

PNT

Post by PNT » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:40 am

Honestly those rankings don't mean much at all. Most applicants would have a better idea of a more accurate ranking of schools in there area of choice.

someone_else

Post by someone_else » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:17 am

Legendre wrote: The main thing I am worried about is if the department has any major flaws that resulted in its low rank.
I think that the major flaws occur in the U.S. News methodology. A one question survey of graduate directors with a 34% response rate doesn't strike me as particularly thorough.

Legendre

Post by Legendre » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:07 pm

someone_else wrote: I think that the major flaws occur in the U.S. News methodology. A one question survey of graduate directors with a 34% response rate doesn't strike me as particularly thorough.
Good point. Thanks.

math_applicant

Post by math_applicant » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:37 pm

How about the NRC ranking ? Here is the page for Dartmouth, yet this ranking is among math programs (applied math has separate ranking). not sure if it helps though.

http://graduate-school.phds.org/univers ... atics/1665

my opinion is that you should ask professors in your field of interest, provided that they are people who trust you to spell the beans about other departments, good luck and congrats on your fellowship!

waiting512

Post by waiting512 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:09 pm

I work in IR at a university, and I can say that it is likely that the only people who fill out the Math Ph.D. are the top programs. I think that Dartmouth probably ranks low because it's program is very small compared to its Ivy league sisters.