Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
atomspatz

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Post by atomspatz » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:53 pm

Who is the graduate chair? The UCLA math website is very cagey when it comes to identifying the admissions committee.

JonMLTR

Post by JonMLTR » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:12 pm

It seems most applied math departments are like that. I had emailed one of them and got the reply that it was first week of April. 2 weeks later I emailed to a professor, 3 professors actually , the first one pointed me to another prof and that one also didn't know anything,so I contacted a third one, 3rd professor forwarded my message back to the admissions secretary :? after 6 days now I receive another email from her again telling me that decisions will be made in first week of April. I am happy that the other 2 did not forward the email between themselves.

I don't know how I am going to find the strength to wait, I am not living my life right now it is more like I am on life support. Another MONTH !!!!!

Oh wait , I just checked grad cafe and there is a person who got waitlisted in the first week of April !!!!!!!!!!!!

Gasquet wrote:
Gasquet wrote:Just mailed 5 (of the 8 ) places I am still to hear back from asking when I can expect a decision. Fingers crossed.
3 schools replied. Cornell CAM, UMD AMSC, UMN (Applied) all said early April. Looks like I still have a long wait to go before I know my fate. Sigh.

Is there anyone else who has not heard anything from UCLA?

On a similar note, Columbia APAM sent an (unprompted) email saying that "your application is under review"

aherring

Post by aherring » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:31 pm

Hey friends,
I have seen on gradcafe that several people have been admitted to UIC for the math PhD program. Some of these admits indicated that they contacted the graduate director of studies. Is anyone here one of these individuals? If you are, and you do not mind my asking, did you email Prof. Takloo-Bighash via his personal math email or the dgs@math.uic.edu? I have emailed him at his personal math email and have not received a response for some time. If anyone has any insight they care to share I would be greatly appreciative!

Euler

Post by Euler » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:33 pm

atomspatz wrote:Who is the graduate chair? The UCLA math website is very cagey when it comes to identifying the admissions committee.
Paul Balmer

transfinite

Post by transfinite » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:47 pm

aherring wrote:Hey friends,
I have seen on gradcafe that several people have been admitted to UIC for the math PhD program. Some of these admits indicated that they contacted the graduate director of studies. Is anyone here one of these individuals? If you are, and you do not mind my asking, did you email Prof. Takloo-Bighash via his personal math email or the dgs@math.uic.edu? I have emailed him at his personal math email and have not received a response for some time. If anyone has any insight they care to share I would be greatly appreciative!
I e-mailed him at dgs@math.uic.edu twice. He answered both e-mails within one day.

atomspatz

Post by atomspatz » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:21 pm

Emailed Paul Balmer at UCLA. Anyone who hasn't heard is on the waiting list. Chances are "really low" that they'll admit anyone else, and he encouraged me to take another offer if I had one.

iAmAbelian

Post by iAmAbelian » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:55 am

Can anyone who has received an offer from the University of Kentucky let me know what the deadline is to accept or decline your offer? Thanks. :)

Gasquet

Post by Gasquet » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:04 am

@rmg512: Like atomspatz, I too have checked that link several times. Nothing there. Still under review.

@atmospatz: Thanks for info. I agree that their site is terrible.

@JonMLTR: I feel the same way. Initially, there were many others in a similar situation on this site, which was sort of comforting. Now it seems that we are among the very few left in this limbo.

@aherring: I sent an email on the dgs email and have not got a reply for two days.

Edit: Sent an email to Paul Balmer. He replied within 20 minutes. Exact same reply as what atmospatz mentioned.
Last edited by Gasquet on Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

ParsleyX

Post by ParsleyX » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:25 am

Just saw an admit from Delaware on gradcafe. Anyone else?

MathKS

Post by MathKS » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:52 am

Has anyone heard back from Colorado State University??

cjh

Post by cjh » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:22 am

MathKS wrote:Has anyone heard back from Colorado State University??
Not a thing, Im waiting too, although Im not holding my breath.

x74zz

Post by x74zz » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:30 am

iAmAbelian wrote:Can anyone who has received an offer from the University of Kentucky let me know what the deadline is to accept or decline your offer? Thanks. :)
My letter said they needed an answer by April 15th. If I'm correct in my understanding, I think that will be the case with most (all?) offers involving funding, both at University of Kentucky and other American schools.

iAmAbelian

Post by iAmAbelian » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:17 am

Yeah I'm not sure why I Didnt think of that. Here's to hoping that someone declines their offer early as I would prefer UK (it is very close to where I live) But I have to accept/decline my other offers by April 15th as well.
x74zz wrote:
iAmAbelian wrote:Can anyone who has received an offer from the University of Kentucky let me know what the deadline is to accept or decline your offer? Thanks. :)
My letter said they needed an answer by April 15th. If I'm correct in my understanding, I think that will be the case with most (all?) offers involving funding, both at University of Kentucky and other American schools.

rmg512

Post by rmg512 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:32 am

Is the "last offer" for Michigan here to confirm the post on Grad Cafe is true?

I'd have really liked to have gotten into Michigan... :cry:

dollar

Post by dollar » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:40 am

I really doubt it. Have they even had their open house yet?

It's a good strategy though, if you're wanting to get into UMich. Make everyone else who's waiting give up and just take another offer.

delta

Post by delta » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:43 am

Has NYU/Courant sent any rejections out? On gradcafe, it seems there has only been a few acceptances and no rejections...

bsbnj

Post by bsbnj » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:50 am

cjh wrote:

Spoke with Bryan Elder last Tuesday (2/26). He said that they had a lot of applicants and they are still in the decision making process. However, they should have all decisions made by the end of the week and that decisions should be going out mid-week this week.

As of this morning, I have heard nothing else.

qbranch

Post by qbranch » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:54 am

x74zz wrote:
The Council of Graduate Schools has a resolution (the April 15 Resolution) that schools are not permitted to require a reply before April 15.

marco

Post by marco » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:15 am

delta wrote:Has NYU/Courant sent any rejections out? On gradcafe, it seems there has only been a few acceptances and no rejections...
I don't think they have sent any rejections. I'm actually hoping that they are not even done sending acceptances either.
Anyway, I think we should hear from soon.

colldood

Post by colldood » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:16 am

Yeah the Michigan thing sounds BS to me but I can't help but be be worried

Gasquet

Post by Gasquet » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:00 pm

delta wrote:Has NYU/Courant sent any rejections out? On gradcafe, it seems there has only been a few acceptances and no rejections...
I sent an email to Courant this morning(well, last night in US). They just replied saying "The Fellowship Committee expects to have all of its offers made by mid-March".

@marco: continuing the conversation we had previously about Courant, clearly this only refers to funded offers.

Manyfolds

Post by Manyfolds » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:22 pm

Do you guys think, at open houses, that the graduate students tell the truth about their opinions of the place?

luke8ball

Post by luke8ball » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:55 pm

Has anyone heard back from NC State in the pure math program?

cjh

Post by cjh » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:26 pm

Manyfolds wrote:Do you guys think, at open houses, that the graduate students tell the truth about their opinions of the place?
Dont see why not, they have no reason to lie really

allin1

Post by allin1 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:49 pm

Does anyone have any idea on how optimistic one should be about being accepted off the waitlist. I have been waitlisted in 4 universities so far and don't really know what could be my expectation out of them.

Also:

I filled up the 1374th slot in this thread :D :D :D :D

Legendre

Post by Legendre » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:21 pm

cjh wrote:
Manyfolds wrote:Do you guys think, at open houses, that the graduate students tell the truth about their opinions of the place?
Dont see why not, they have no reason to lie really
They might not be too eager to bad mouth their supervisors. I don't see why they would risk jeopardizing their relationship with their supervisor to advise a visitor they barely knows.

Legendre

Post by Legendre » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:24 pm

From my current and past experience, some schools fly those they are interviewing or those offered a place in to visit the department, paying most/all expenses.

For schools that are intending to reply late (e.g. Cornell says early April), does this mean there won't be a visit/open-house?

virgo

Post by virgo » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:33 pm

rmg512 wrote:Is the "last offer" for Michigan here to confirm the post on Grad Cafe is true?

I'd have really liked to have gotten into Michigan... :cry:
Same here. My heart broke when I saw that. Why wouldn't they reject us then? It's so annoying how they keep our hopes up. I just want to cry :(.

virgo

Post by virgo » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:34 pm

dollar wrote:I really doubt it. Have they even had their open house yet?

It's a good strategy though, if you're wanting to get into UMich. Make everyone else who's waiting give up and just take another offer.
Maybe enough people accepted offers.

virgo

Post by virgo » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:37 pm

colldood wrote:Yeah the Michigan thing sounds BS to me but I can't help but be be worried
Well gradcafe does have a history of fake Michigan admits.

rmg512

Post by rmg512 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:12 pm

I thought it was fake Michigan rejects. Nonetheless, yeah, I hope the person was lying.

Legendre

Post by Legendre » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:08 pm

Just heard from Northwestern Applied Maths - Rejected.

Good luck!

cjh

Post by cjh » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:13 pm

bsbnj wrote:
cjh wrote:

Spoke with Bryan Elder last Tuesday (2/26). He said that they had a lot of applicants and they are still in the decision making process. However, they should have all decisions made by the end of the week and that decisions should be going out mid-week this week.

As of this morning, I have heard nothing else.
Thanks for the update!

cooltrainer

Post by cooltrainer » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:17 pm

allin1 wrote:Does anyone have any idea on how optimistic one should be about being accepted off the waitlist. I have been waitlisted in 4 universities so far and don't really know what could be my expectation out of them.

Also:

I filled up the 1374th slot in this thread :D :D :D :D
I have also been wondering the same thing, especially when the program is highly ranked and accepts only 5-6 applicants. Does anyone have any idea? Thank you so much in advance for your information.

mindreader

Post by mindreader » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:40 pm

To those waiting to hear from Cornell CAM, I have been e-mailed by a professor today inquiring whether I wish to be considered in the waiting list. I am more than relieved after getting rejected by Brown because I only have 1 PhD admit so far and I don't have much of a choice, really.

Was anyone e-mailed by a faculty member of Cornell CAM too?

randomposter

Post by randomposter » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:42 pm

Based on gradcafe university of washington is starting to send out rejects and applications, although not that many. Has anyone here heard anything?

I sent an email to the grad_program email at Wisconsin-Madison about the status of my app. We'll see if I hear back...

ajrasmus

Post by ajrasmus » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:20 am

randomposter wrote:Based on gradcafe university of washington is starting to send out rejects and applications, although not that many. Has anyone here heard anything?

I sent an email to the grad_program email at Wisconsin-Madison about the status of my app. We'll see if I hear back...
I didn't hear anything directly. But I did email the school today and they told me that they were still reviewing applications and that I would hear back very soon. They are so ridiculously slow...

tvboomer

Post by tvboomer » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:28 am

randomposter wrote:Based on gradcafe university of washington is starting to send out rejects and applications, although not that many. Has anyone here heard anything?
From what I've seen, it looks like they are taking care of International applicants first. Hopefully American results are out soon!

is2718

Post by is2718 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:31 am

Hey, I got accepted to Washington earlier this week.

randomposter

Post by randomposter » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:58 am

is2718 wrote:

Hey, I got accepted to Washington earlier this week.
Congratulations. I noticed as did tvboomer that all the acceptances and rejects (on gradcafe) are international students, are you also international?

ajrasmus wrote:

I didn't hear anything directly. But I did email the school today and they told me that they were still reviewing applications and that I would hear back very soon. They are so ridiculously slow...
If only we had applied to their applied math program, then we would have known a month ago.

IfhhoteCannot

Post by IfhhoteCannot » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:49 am

A friend of mine got into Washington and is not international.

is2718

Post by is2718 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:08 am

@randomposter: I applied to Washington as a U.S. citizen, graduating from a university in the U.S. (that is, UCLA).

randomposter

Post by randomposter » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:27 am

Okay. Good to know it's just sampling bias on gradcafe.

math_applicant

Post by math_applicant » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:32 am

anyone else hasn't heard from Duke (pure math) yet ? they seem to have made their first round offers a couple of weeks ago but no rejections yet (GC). Last year (GC), they sent out their rejections late march and waitlists by early april and they made their offers even earlier than this year. anyone got any info about when they are going to release the rest of the decisions this year ?

marco

Post by marco » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:52 am

A lot of us are still waiting on Duke.

math_applicant

Post by math_applicant » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:01 pm

marco wrote:A lot of us are still waiting on Duke.
yeah, that sucks! but I believe you are waiting on the applied math track and that the released first wave was all for pure math (not sure though), so there might be some light at the end of the tunnel for you guys.

marco

Post by marco » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:05 pm

math_applicant wrote:
marco wrote:A lot of us are still waiting on Duke.
yeah, that sucks! but I believe you are waiting on the applied math track and that the released first wave was all for pure math (not sure though), so there might be some light at the end of the tunnel for you guys.
Let's see what happens, but I do still have some hope left :P . Good luck man!

broken_symlink

Post by broken_symlink » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:44 pm

i am waiting for duke also, but pure math. i emailed them a few times, but they don't respond. i am also waiting for rice.

Manyfolds

Post by Manyfolds » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:23 pm

Does anyone have any opinions on graduate study at Wisconsin Madison? In terms of grad student life, etc... it is quite difficult to "feel out" their campus.

quark

Post by quark » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:42 pm

Just got a rejection mail from Brandeis. Didn't expect to get in, but hurts nevertheless.