Your help is greatly appreciated.........................

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
2help

Your help is greatly appreciated.........................

Post by 2help » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:42 pm

I have been waitlisted in George Washington University and LSU. The only school that offered me admission so far has requested me to respond to them by the 29th of March while I wanted to wait for those two schools. The thing is that I have not heard anything from them yet and I will not likely do until around 10th of April (it is my guess since 15th is the deadline for most people to respond).

If anyone in this forum has been offered admission from GWU or LSU and going to turn it down, PLEASE and PLEASE do so asap so that I can have my chance hopefully by the end of next week. I would really appreciate it.

Also , if anyone has any suggestion or opinion on dilemma with the time crunch , I also do appreciate it a lot , thank you guys.

cooltrainer

Re: Your help is greatly appreciated.........................

Post by cooltrainer » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:07 pm

It is unfair that you have to respond by April 15th. I did not apply to GWU not LSU but I wish you all the best.

math_applicant

Post by math_applicant » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:10 pm

I wonder if there are any serious consequences to accepting an offer and then going back and declining it if you hear from your dream schools (before April 15th of course) ? It certainly won't be your fault. I realize its not the best of conducts but neither is the whole admissions game!

tbil

Post by tbil » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:49 pm

I just told GWU that I won't be attending yesterday. There's hope!
If I were you I'd probably mail GWU and LSU and explain the situation and see if there's any chance you could get an assessment on your position on the waitlist. For GWU, I've emailed Jozef Przytycki a few times and he was very helpful. His email is [Edited by admin: It is best to use private messaging to share email addresses]. Good luck!

math_applicant wrote:I wonder if there are any serious consequences to accepting an offer and then going back and declining it if you hear from your dream schools (before April 15th of course) ? It certainly won't be your fault. I realize its not the best of conducts but neither is the whole admissions game!
I don't think there are any serious consequences besides the department at the first school being annoyed at you (and possibly messing stuff up for people who are waitlisted at that school). Better not to do it if you can avoid it, but stuff happens! I was in that situation with an REU. Total bummer, I felt horrible. I have a really bad habit at jumping the gun and assuming I'm not going to make the cut for programs that I later get into...

2help

Post by 2help » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:49 pm

tbil wrote:I just told GWU that I won't be attending yesterday. There's hope!
If I were you I'd probably mail GWU and LSU and explain the situation and see if there's any chance you could get an assessment on your position on the waitlist. For GWU, I've emailed Jozef Przytycki a few times and he was very helpful. His email is [Edited by admin: It is best to use private messaging to share email addresses]. Good luck!

math_applicant wrote:I wonder if there are any serious consequences to accepting an offer and then going back and declining it if you hear from your dream schools (before April 15th of course) ? It certainly won't be your fault. I realize its not the best of conducts but neither is the whole admissions game!
I don't think there are any serious consequences besides the department at the first school being annoyed at you (and possibly messing stuff up for people who are waitlisted at that school). Better not to do it if you can avoid it, but stuff happens! I was in that situation with an REU. Total bummer, I felt horrible. I have a really bad habit at jumping the gun and assuming I'm not going to make the cut for programs that I later get into...
tbil, Thank you so much for your information and I will try emailing him. Thanks again.

aggietiger5

Post by aggietiger5 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:30 pm

2help, I am soon going to decline LSU's offer. Best of luck.

2help

Post by 2help » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:36 pm

aggietiger5 wrote:2help, I am soon going to decline LSU's offer. Best of luck.
aggietiger5, Thank you so much for your information.

2help

Post by 2help » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:52 pm

tbil, would you mind telling me if you sent your email turning down the offer to the department or to the graduate admission of columbian college? I just got a quick response from Dr. Przytycki to my email saying that not much is known till the 15th of April. I am just curious if he is aware of your email. If he is , then i suppose it implies that I dont have a shot there for the time being. :(

tbil

Post by tbil » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:56 pm

2help wrote:

tbil, would you mind telling me if you sent your email turning down the offer to the department or to the graduate admission of columbian college? I just got a quick response from Dr. Przytycki to my email saying that not much is known till the 15th of April. I am just curious if he is aware of your email. If he is , then i suppose it implies that I dont have a shot there for the time being. :(

Once accepted, the GWU website provided me with a form to complete where you just click a box "accept" or "decline", something like that. It was specific to the math department so I believe they have this information already. Sorry :(

Were you waitlisted for funding, or waitlisted for admission?

2help

Post by 2help » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:20 pm

tbil, would you mind telling me if you sent your email turning down the offer to the department or to the graduate admission of columbian college? I just got a quick response from Dr. Przytycki to my email saying that not much is known till the 15th of April. I am just curious if he is aware of your email. If he is , then i suppose it implies that I dont have a shot there for the time being. :([/quote]

Once accepted, the GWU website provided me with a form to complete where you just click a box "accept" or "decline", something like that. It was specific to the math department so I believe they have this information already. Sorry :(

Were you waitlisted for funding, or waitlisted for admission?[/quote]

I was waitlisted for funding.