Iowa and Michigan State

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
mathgirl16

Iowa and Michigan State

Post by mathgirl16 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:17 am

Has anyone heard from Iowa or Michigan State... I am applying for the Masters program.

MathStudent

Re: Iowa and Michigan State

Post by MathStudent » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:32 pm

I was accepted to Michigan State's master's program with a TA-ship in early February by mail. Unfortunately I haven't been able to make a decision yet since I'm still waiting to hear back from some other schools. If I accept another offer, I'll be sure to let MSU know right away in case they want to make an offer to somebody else. Best of luck, I hope you get into the program you want :)

mathgirl16

Post by mathgirl16 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:48 pm

Thanks I appreciate it... my top school so far wants me to reply by Friday (5th). MSU is my top choice. But the other offer is good.

MathStudent

Post by MathStudent » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:48 pm

Glad to hear you that have a good offer. Do you know if April 5th is a strict deadline, or if they would just prefer to hear from you by then? Because if they're a member of the Council of Graduate Schools (which I think basically all grad schools are), they aren't supposed to make their deadline earlier than April 15th. I'm sure if you told them that you're waiting to hear back from some other schools and that you'd like until the 15th to make a decision, they would have no problem with that. Just a suggestion :)

mathgirl16

Post by mathgirl16 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:05 pm

Well, I know about the 15th deadline... but I am not sure they do. And I really dont want to appear to be causing problems before I even start the program. And to be honest, I feel like these others schools should be making decisions already. It is rude to give people so little time to make a decision. Thanks for your help

qbranch

Post by qbranch » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:37 pm

mathgirl16 wrote:Well, I know about the 15th deadline... but I am not sure they do. And I really dont want to appear to be causing problems before I even start the program. And to be honest, I feel like these others schools should be making decisions already. It is rude to give people so little time to make a decision. Thanks for your help
They know about the deadline. The April 15th deadline is a resolution by the Council of Graduate Schools (which Michigan State signed), stating that schools aren't permitted to require a response for a financial offer before April 15th.

mathgirl16

Post by mathgirl16 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:00 am

qbranch wrote:
mathgirl16 wrote:Well, I know about the 15th deadline... but I am not sure they do. And I really dont want to appear to be causing problems before I even start the program. And to be honest, I feel like these others schools should be making decisions already. It is rude to give people so little time to make a decision. Thanks for your help
They know about the deadline. The April 15th deadline is a resolution by the Council of Graduate Schools (which Michigan State signed), stating that schools aren't permitted to require a response for a financial offer before April 15th.
Michigan State isnt the school making the request to reply by April 5th. I am still waiting to hear from MSU still... but the other school is also listed on the resolution.