The Saga of the Confused and the Waitlisted!

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
marco

Re: The Saga of the Confused and the Waitlisted!

Post by marco » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:55 am

I hope so. It would be nice to know something.

marco

Post by marco » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:35 pm

It's past noon and nothing...ohh the horror!

math_applicant

Post by math_applicant » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:17 pm

marco wrote:It's past noon and nothing...ohh the horror!
That sounded funny, normally the horror comes past midnight :D

nico

Post by nico » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:13 am

meredith wrote:I just got an acceptance letter from Washington University in St. Louis! Very excited!

However, now it's decision time. Do people know anything about the department (from a visit or something)?
Hey Meredith, I was accepted there and visited the dept. a month ago, I actually turned it down a few days ago.

IMO, the dept is great, the students are happy and very close knit. The only flaw I found was the size. For me, it was just too small. I come from a big state u, so I'm used to depts with 60+ grad students. Wash u has 20. That's tiny. Another thing to keep in mind is that while they used to be big in analysis that is NOT the case anymore. All their ppl have gotten old and they've recently hired 3 new profs. This is both good and bad. Given that they have 15 active faculty members 3 new people can radically change the direction of the department. The big thing there now seems to be differential geometry. If u have any further questions feel free to pm me :-)

Gasquet

Post by Gasquet » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:23 pm

Sorry to sound like a broken record, but please decline any admits which you are not plan on accepting. It could really help us out.

Especially UIC.

MathFreaked

Post by MathFreaked » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:36 pm

At what point in time should I start worrying that I haven't gotten a funding offer yet from schools I've been accepted to? I know I'm not alone in not having funding offers from these schools yet, but it's still a little bit unsettling.

Also, what's the protocol for people who have offers but are also on a waitlist? I know I'm supposed to reply to the schools I have been admitted to by April 15th, but in all likelihood I will not know if I'm accepted off of a waitlist until the 16th (after they get all their 1st round responses on the 15th). It seems like it would be rude to accept an offer and then turn around and decline it because you got picked up off a waitlist (assuming the waitlist offer was better), but I see no other way around it.

marco

Post by marco » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:05 pm

MathFreaked wrote:At what point in time should I start worrying that I haven't gotten a funding offer yet from schools I've been accepted to? I know I'm not alone in not having funding offers from these schools yet, but it's still a little bit unsettling.

Also, what's the protocol for people who have offers but are also on a waitlist? I know I'm supposed to reply to the schools I have been admitted to by April 15th, but in all likelihood I will not know if I'm accepted off of a waitlist until the 16th (after they get all their 1st round responses on the 15th). It seems like it would be rude to accept an offer and then turn around and decline it because you got picked up off a waitlist (assuming the waitlist offer was better), but I see no other way around it.
I guess there is no protocol, we can only hope that the first round offer people make a decision a little bit before April 15 and give us a chance. I truly understand that deciding where to go for one's PhD is hard but if you have the chance to decide a couple of days before April 15 please do. It would really help us on the wait list :P .
That goes out for all the first round offer people out there.

rmg512

Post by rmg512 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:37 am

If you haven't heard from Purdue, you're probably on the waiting list, I was told by Dr. Goldberg. They have no idea whether/when they'll be able to make more offers since not enough people have declined offers from them. If you're not going, PLEASE decline their offer ASAP to give waitlisted people a chance! Thanks!

PNT

Post by PNT » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:35 am

How is it possible to be admitted off the wait-list after the deadline? Isn't the deadline there to stop this type of stuff from happening? By that I mean people being forced to make a decision while still potentially waiting on offers.

I mean I have no idea how this has played out in past years and I guess it must be a scramble on the 15th...

MathFreaked

Post by MathFreaked » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:57 am

PNT wrote:How is it possible to be admitted off the wait-list after the deadline? Isn't the deadline there to stop this type of stuff from happening? By that I mean people being forced to make a decision while still potentially waiting on offers.

I mean I have no idea how this has played out in past years and I guess it must be a scramble on the 15th...
Pretty simple. Suppose school X is looking to admit 10 new students for next year. They send out 12 acceptances, and have a waitlist of a few students. If by the 16th they only have 8 people that accepted their offer, they will offer 2 students from the "top" of the waitlist those positions. Some of the other students may have forgotten or chosen not to notify them of their decision to join a different program, or perhaps they themselves didn't get their choice acceptance until it was opened until April 15th. Regardless, this process can take some time and generally can't all get sorted out in one day. If you check grad cafe (http://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php ... 50&o=d&p=7) there's an acceptance for UCLA from last year on April 30th, and plenty of other schools after the 15th.

longtm1989

Post by longtm1989 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:34 pm

It's unbelievable. Today, Columbia replied my email from a month ago. They said my file is still with the math department, and all decisions will be final this week.

cooltrainer

Post by cooltrainer » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:51 pm

longtm1989 wrote:It's unbelievable. Today, Columbia replied my email from a month ago. They said my file is still with the math department, and all decisions will be final this week.
They might accept you I guess ;)

atimora

Post by atimora » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:20 pm

Is there anyone heard from Tuft university? I haven't heard a thing until now. There are some people who asked and got a response that they have been rejected, but they haven't responded to my email which was sent over a week ago. Methinks that either my app was so unappealing that they don't even respond to my inquiry :wink: or I am waitlisted.

longtm1989

Post by longtm1989 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:52 pm

atimora wrote:Is there anyone heard from Tuft university? I haven't heard a thing until now. There are some people who asked and got a response that they have been rejected, but they haven't responded to my email which was sent over a week ago. Methinks that either my app was so unappealing that they don't even respond to my inquiry :wink: or I am waitlisted.
Fingers cross for you.

RicciFlow

Post by RicciFlow » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:01 pm

Does anyone have any idea how long the CU Boulder waitlist is for the pure math program? Further, does anyone who has an offer from them want to go ahead and decline it? ;)
Entering the final pushes, good luck everyone.

marco

Post by marco » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:58 pm

Wow! The fact that it is April and I have still not heard from 4 schools is mind boggling.
I mean, whatever result I get is ok but just tell me!

avisottda

Post by avisottda » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:44 pm

I know right? I am still waiting to hear from 4 schools, got waitlisted at 4 (3 of them unofficially, upon request), got waitlisted for funding at 2 places that I already got accepted... so I am waiting for the total of 10 schools.

marco

Post by marco » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:25 pm

I asked a school if they have some further information on my app and they said that I will have a final decision in about two weeks.
Two weeks? April 15 is next week!

marco

Post by marco » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:50 pm

I see some Duke wait lists and some NYU rejections and I have not received anything. I swear I feel like my application is in some Limbo in between rejection and being waitlisted let alone getting an offer...

MathFreaked

Post by MathFreaked » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:55 pm

Relax marco, you've got plenty of time to decide still! I mean, you've got 144 hours until this time on the 15th! That's plenty of time to make a life changing decision right? Guys? Anyone?

marco

Post by marco » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:06 pm

MathFreaked wrote:Relax marco, you've got plenty of time to decide still! I mean, you've got 144 hours until this time on the 15th! That's plenty of time to make a life changing decision right? Guys? Anyone?
LOL :P .

delta

Post by delta » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:21 pm

on the waitlist for three places, and have yet to hear from NYU... shit sucks

marco

Post by marco » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:32 pm

So I just got rejected by Duke and accepted to the Master's Program without funding from NYU (essentially rejected).
Down two and two more to go. This does not feel good man.

atimora

Post by atimora » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:52 pm

Someone is declining offer from Tufts according to GC. Maybe I will get off the waitlist....

longtm1989

Post by longtm1989 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:25 pm

It's a live-show. Schools wait for acceptances, send some acceptances and rejections, and we are waiting. Ohio State sent the ranked list of waitlisted students today, and I could find my ID on the list, although they said I'm wait-listed. Columbia hasn't sent anything. It's strange to a mediocre student like me how people haven't made decisions to Columbia. Come on, it's Columbia, and it's New York City.

atimora

Post by atimora » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:46 am

longtm1989 wrote:It's a live-show. Schools wait for acceptances, send some acceptances and rejections, and we are waiting. Ohio State sent the ranked list of waitlisted students today, and I could find my ID on the list, although they said I'm wait-listed. Columbia hasn't sent anything. It's strange to a mediocre student like me how people haven't made decisions to Columbia. Come on, it's Columbia, and it's New York City.
Funny thing: there is one Columbia reject on GC who claims to have been accepted to much better programs. So, what are some *much* better programs than Columbia??

marco

Post by marco » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:15 am

Got rejected by UMN, just waiting on UMD now.

Gasquet

Post by Gasquet » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:59 am

marco wrote:Got rejected by UMN, just waiting on UMD now.
official rejection? or by an email exchange?

marco

Post by marco » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:54 am

Gasquet wrote:
marco wrote:Got rejected by UMN, just waiting on UMD now.
official rejection? or by an email exchange?
Email exchange.

atimora

Post by atimora » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:58 am

I got an email from Tufts again. But it's not from the director but from the graduate school. They said the decision will be posted online soon. Since the director said she would email me directly if I get in, it is not a positive sign :( But i can't help but imagine getting accepted...dreams dreams...

Why can't they just tell us via email? The grim future is awaiting me and I feel like choking.

nchar

Post by nchar » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:56 pm

I'm waitlisted at 3 schools, with less than a week to go. I emailed to one of the schools and they said that they will only make further offers after April 15. But the deadline to accept the offer that I already have is April 15... don't know what to do...

longtm1989

Post by longtm1989 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:36 pm

Finally, Columbia sent me a rejection. I'm done with the application season. Good luck for everyone.

marco

Post by marco » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:10 am

So I have been rejected by all the institutions I was waiting from. So where is everybody here going now?
I feel now this thread should focus on this.

RicciFlow

Post by RicciFlow » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:00 pm

marco wrote:So I have been rejected by all the institutions I was waiting from. So where is everybody here going now?
I feel now this thread should focus on this.
While I am still holding out hope to get off of two wait lists, my backup plan is to go to Boulder, get a job (probably tutoring, good town to make money off of) and then take one course from either the pure or applied math department (pay it out of pocket). This way the faculty can get to know me and hopefully give me a great edge for getting funded in the next semester or year. I also have good connections there so I don't think I would get any grief from the departments.

That's my backup plan anyway.

nchar

Post by nchar » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:55 pm

For those who are waitlisted at UT Austin, there is still small chance that the department will make further offers according to the graduate advisor. But the waiting list is so long... gosh

nchar

Post by nchar » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:08 pm

Hi all. Did anyone get off the waitlist at UC Davis? Thanks!

waiting512

Post by waiting512 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:17 pm

Anyone sitting on an IU admit?

atimora

Post by atimora » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:53 pm

Rejected at Tufts. Do you think there is a chance that I will get in somewhere? I have a number of places that haven't responded to my email inquiries/waitlisted me....

marco

Post by marco » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:21 pm

So while I was waiting for the schools I applied to decide if they would make me a financial directly from them, I decided not to publish the fact that I had the possibility of obtaining financial support. Given the results from the universities, I decided to tell the universities of this, and after that, most of them admitted me and offered additional financial support: University of Arizona, Rutgers University, University of Minnesota, University of Texas at Austin and New York University. I have narrowed my list down to two universities, University of Minnesota and New York University, and I am considering the possibility of applying to Columbia APAM. My interests are Stochastic Analysis, PDE's and their applications. I was wondering if the people who went to the open house of NYU, UMN and Columbia-APAM could give some insight on their programs? Which program would you go to. Any help would be greatly appreciated :P .

marco

Post by marco » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:42 pm

Turns out I will be going to University of Minnesota starting this Fall. How did things turn out for everyone?
Who will actually be going to UMN?