Master's in Pure Math?

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
jwm57pitt

Master's in Pure Math?

Post by jwm57pitt » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:09 pm

Hi all,

I am new to this forum, and have a question about a master's in math.

I got a math-econ joint degree from a top 60 math top 40 econ university and was recently shut out by top 50 econ PhD programs. I am now considering a master's in math.

I am missing a few key classes (a calc, algebra, complex analysis) which I assume I will have to go back and take at my university.

My question is how competitive are master's programs in math, and what schools will I have the best chance to get a funded master's at?

If everything goes as planned (after taking the few classes I still need) my math gpa will be a 3.6 and my overall a 3.4. My first time taking the general gre I got a 163Q/153V/4.0A but plan to retake to get a perfect Q score. Does anyone have insight on master's (and maybe even PhD) programs that I would be able to get into, specifically with funding?

Thank you all in advance for your help and best of luck to everyone this cycle.

dasgut

Re: Master's in Pure Math?

Post by dasgut » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:10 pm

I had almost no math background, a 3.51 undergrad GPA, and I got into a top 70 math MS.

sabq

Post by sabq » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:38 pm

dasgut wrote:I had almost no math background, a 3.51 undergrad GPA, and I got into a top 70 math MS.
Was it funded (i.e. tuition waiver + stipend)? I am trying to look funded MS programs both pure and applied.

I am just like you guys: I have only taken the 3-semester-calculus-sequence, differential equations, linear algebra (lower + upper division). So, I lack abstract algebra, real and complex analysis.

dasgut

Post by dasgut » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:12 pm

I got a half tuition waiver.