Adverse effect of Withdrawal?

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
pj29019

Adverse effect of Withdrawal?

Post by pj29019 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:20 pm

Hello guys,

I was wondering, as I was having a shitty semester both mentally and physically, I had to make a painful decision to withdraw from a single course I was doing the worst (and fortunately, I got A's in the remaining 3 courses, 2 of which being mathematics courses). I have been told that even though W does not count neither favorably nor adversely towards your GPA, it considered as badly as an F by the admission committee of graduate admission...

So the question is: is the above statement true? How badly is it going to affect my prospect? (Also, I am enrolled at a school considered one of the most rigorous in math in the nation, if that helps.)

Thanks in advance.

goatman2743

Re: Adverse effect of Withdrawal?

Post by goatman2743 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:39 pm

Did you hear this from a reliable source? Because while I have no inside knowledge, I can't imagine it would look as bad as an F. It would be a negative, but I doubt a single withdrawal on an otherwise good transcript would be a big deal.

pj29019

Post by pj29019 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:56 am

I heard it from my advisor whom, honestly speaking, I do not trust 100%. But upon seeing what you said, it makes me feel a little better... Perhaps it's time for me to find a new advisor...

boo78

Post by boo78 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:00 pm

I have not found that to be true. My undergrad transcript had several Ws on it. I would sign up for more classes than I could actually handle, and then realize that I had to drop something. My overall GPA was great. First time around applying to grad school I got into all 8 schools I applied to, including 2 Ivy Leagues, so it certainly didn't hurt me any.

Sam_NYC

Post by Sam_NYC » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:54 pm

Yes, it does matter for certain graduate programs. If you're pre-med and seeking admissions to a US med school. As for math, you'll be okay.

pj29019

Post by pj29019 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:36 am

goatman2743 wrote:Did you hear this from a reliable source? Because while I have no inside knowledge, I can't imagine it would look as bad as an F. It would be a negative, but I doubt a single withdrawal on an otherwise good transcript would be a big deal.
Even if the withdrawal was made for the math course? (not a requirement, an elective)

yotamh

Post by yotamh » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:04 pm

pj29019 wrote:Even if the withdrawal was made for the math course? (not a requirement, an elective)
Three people said already it doesn't sound like a big deal. I'm the forth. One withdrawal from elective most likely won't have any effect on the replay you would have been getting without that withdrawal. : )

Anyway, no point worrying about it, as there is nothing you can do about it. Just send your application as it is and hope for the best.